February 11, 2010

Review 2

Samuel is going to be a 7th grader next year. I am trying to get all my ducks in a row as far as curriculum options are concerned. But as soon as I start thinking about jr high and high school I break out in a cold sweat.

When I got this e-book called "Help Lord, I'm Getting Ready to Start Homeschooling my High Schooler" from The Old Schoolhouse Magazine I was excited. (They always offer such great resources.) And after reading it I am no longer in a cold sweat. Still a little nervous but I have a peace too.

There are 15 homeschool parents that have written about their high school homeschooling experiences. Each story is filled with sweet words of wisdom. Nothing preachy or condescending, but loving words of wisdom.

It was a compilation of encouraging home school stories. Most of them shared of their struggles and then their successes.

I loved these parts. It made me feel like I was part of a community. Sometimes I get so discouraged in the home school adventure. This book was like a bright light at the end of a dark tunnel.(Can you tell what kind of day I was having?!)

The different writers talk about their special needs children, their children that excelled quite easily and their children that struggled at young ages and then "caught on" later on in their school careers. It is full of scripture verses that will remind the reader that parenting (and teaching) your child is a noble calling from the Lord and is one to be taken seriously. But is also one that you are not alone in.

Even if you don't have a high school student in your home read this book. It will encourage you to keep on. It will encourage the mom with young children and the mom with teenagers.

Don't be put off by the illustrations. It seems like it may just be a cute little book full of not much, but it is packed full of nuggets of truth.

Get it, read it, and re-read it!

"Help Lord, I'm Getting Ready to Start Homeschooling my High School Student" is published by The Old Schoolhouse Magazine and is a little over 100 pages long. Also included in the book is a list of websites and resources that offer information on various topics discussed throughout the book. Visit www.theoldschoolhousestore.com and get this e-book. You'll be glad you did!

No comments:

Post a Comment